Thursday, February 13, 2020

A Balancing Act

Every week, I choose a theme to think about in my own life, a practice to support this theme for myself and others and let these questions percolate, integrate, assimilate and deepen in my own being.

Oaxaca 2009

The balancing act of living daily is an art form. A moving, breathing, anything but static way of soulful existence. 

Sometimes balance looks like green smoothies packed with fresh orange juice, beets, celery, strawberries, bananas and whatever else I can pack into the blender. Other times is looks like Oreo cookies and coffee. 

I get up every day and share that first cup with Javier. Our quiet and precious alone time together. Then I sit on my cushion in front of an altar and reminders of qualities important to embody as part of my life's message. Sarasvati for creativity. Laskshmi for beauty. Both from New Orleans during last year's Bhaktimmersion. Ganesha from Joshua Tree, the remover of obstacles. The Virgen of Guadalupe and amethyst angel to remind me of feeling protected and guided. A tiny yogi sitting on a square piece of Connemara stone from Ireland with its round center. A crystal from my Reiki teacher. A candle to remind of me of the perpetual light within to guide me along my daily adventures. Buddha was too big for the alter so there are several around the house and yard as a reminder of the Boddhisattva. A reminder of my commitments for life.

Self care before everyone else care is a balancing act. Sometimes I need a hike in the mountains, restorative yoga, a book and cup of tea. To just sit on my porch, listen and be. Other times I need to wear my pj's all day and marry Netflix. Til death do us part. I'm never getting up again. And then I do. 

It can be easy for me to loose sight of all the energy going out to others. Family, pets, work, home, anywhere or everywhere. I love my life and enjoy living. 

Sometimes, I get Grinchy and have grumpy moments of: How many times are we going to celebrate one holiday!? One celebration per holiday is enough, right? Isn't celebrating the fact that we are alive and breathing and healthy celebration enough? I think so. Schools and some cultural traditions beg to differ. As my grandpa Jimmy, born in Texas, lived and loved Baja used to say, "Sweetie, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

When I was designing and building, I learned to balance the nature of my work and how to restore. Not to perfection. I still overdid it from time to time. Which was an improvement and evolution from perpetually overdoing. A kind of balance experienced in itself.

In a time and culture where we are encouraged to contantly go bigger, grow bigger, do more, and as I mature, I lean more into: slow down, integrate, deepen and evolve naturally. Nothing stays the same. Even if we try to make it stay. Staying, even if momentarily, is another way of being with the natural flow of life. The rise and fall of the breath. The rustle of the wind in the trees. A wind chime. Bird songs. Sleeping dogs. Creative projects naturally grow, expand, deepen, connect and integrate this ongoing existence on earth.

As I focus on slowing down, life keeps revving, ideas ignite enjoyable and inspiring ways to take my work out into the world. This chapter comes with new learnings on how to balance.

How to balance giving and receiving?

How to be the giver and receiver at once to restore my own energy, health, maintain vitality so I can keep on participating in this life I love to live?

When to reach out and let myself completely be on the receiving end.

The recognition that every day, in some way, I am receiving and giving. Take notice of the subtleties. Be grateful for opportunities. For the spaciousness that is here and available in between each breath. In listening. And being.

Sometimes participation is out there, other times in here. Often it is dance between the two. A balancing act. There are many ways to participate.

At the heart of the matter, there are more questions:

Am I giving enough?

Am I giving back for all I have received?

The recognition that every day, the first words I hear are, "Ya esta el cafe." And the love I feel for that act. Someone I love made me coffee.

I hope that the actions of my own life mirror the kindess, love and generosity I have been blessed to receive.


Yogi Bhajan wrote, 
"If you want to learn something, read about it. 
If you want to understand something, write about it. 
If you want to master something, teach it."

The great rejuvenator.

This balancing act is a way of life. An art form.
Each version of balance is as unique and beautiful as the artist themself.




No comments:

Post a Comment