Friday, February 9, 2018

Falling and Flying




It is February of 2018. When I walked down the hill yesterday, feeling strong and content to have hiked and climbed without the effort I felt a few years ago, I saw the same blue gem in the photo below and remembered this blog post that I hadn't shared when I wrote it in 2016.

One of the Blue Gems I  left years before - photo today 2016

2016...Face flushed with wobbly legs after months without a hike, on my way down the hill I spotted a blue gem. Sparkling to my right on dirt within rock surround. A few years ago, around two on a weekend afternoon, I was hiking down this trail. Every look up from the path, I saw kites on the water, horizon beyond. A turn in trail, rocks aside and ahead, I remember walking, don't remember falling. Looking up, all I saw was a vast blue sky with red freckles. A few white transparent clouds. A few moments to figure out I was on the ground.

The next morning when I awoke and looked in the mirror, a boxing match came to mind. I have never been in a physical fight. My fat swollen colorful upper lip made me wonder if this is how folks feels after a brawl. A granite bolder with jagged edges, my broken tooth, perforated upper lip. Lots of ice and rest.


The desert's shelter, love and embrace - inspiration for 2018's painting of the trail.


On that winter afternoon, my original plan was kiteboarding. I looked at the water, then looked at the hills. Hiking boots are easy to put on. No pumping, rigging, launching. Time on the water in recent years meant falling on my face over and over. The learning curve in kiteboarding, for me, felt extensive. 


After countless face plants, I did learn how to lean back, loosen my grip, love the wind in my face, heart open to the north. 

My daughter asked me recently if I miss it. When the north wind blows, however subtly or strongly, I feel its pull. I smile, consider going and choose to stay. With one kid leaving the nest, I know the years I have left with our daughter at home will fly by. They already do. The other day she stood next to me, side by side. She nodded to her shoulder, then to mine. One is not much higher than the other.

Drawing by my daughter 2013

Wind and water are eternal. I had hopes that kiteboarding might be a mother daughter shared activity, love of wind and water fun. She drew a picture that I framed. The two of us flying, boards on our feet, sky above, water below. I cherish the thought and vision. Enjoy how we are together. More often in the water together or above. Connected to water with paddle boards or kayaks. Together.

After the fall, while in the dentists office having my tooth repaired, I was alone for a few minutes. Supported by the chair, legs extended, looking up, an idea came to me: paint the trail. Paint all these places meaningful, their memories, stories. Sacred places. Sacred trails.


Falling and Flying 2013


Every time I turn this corner, I take note of a heart shaped rock I left here. A reminder of falling down and getting back up. A tribute to all the falling down and getting back up that happens in lifetime. After the fall, I left a handful of blue gems. Today I found one of them, not far from the original spot. Still there, still sparkly, still shiny.


Since 2013, I have painted fifteen meaningful places along the trail. Last weekend, I began painting number sixteen. The journey and adventure continues and these trails continue to provide a source of shelter, embrace and belonging. These places provide a sense of connection and reminders. Sometimes, when we return to where we have been, we get a clearer perspective on where we are now.

The paintings of the trail have been printed into Note Cards available in our UBL Designs office, as well as, Galeria Los Angeles. I took several with us to Ireland and gave them in gratitude to owners of B&B's we stayed at. A while back, while getting my hair cut at Salon de Cortez, a woman approached me to say how much she enjoyed my paintings and that she had recently sent one to a friend living in Japan. I love knowing that little pieces of Baja, pieces that are sacred to me have traveled around the world.

This series of paintings began after I fell, literally, flat on my face. 

Still occasionally falling or taking flight. These days, I am mostly just walking. Putting one foot in front of the other. And when I do trip, more often than not, I am able to catch my fall - thank you Yoga.

Full of gratitude for every experience and all the learning along the way,

Tehroma




No comments:

Post a Comment